While the U.S Environment Protection Agency (EPA) phased out the virgin production and importation of R-22, rest assured that R-22 remains legal to use and available long after January 1, 2020. Need independent proof? Check out this EPA brochure detailing the facts about R-22.
The truth about R-22 now and in the future:
- R-22 is 100% legal to buy, sell.
- Only virgin manufacture and import of R22 was phased out.
- Well maintained systems can last 25 years or more.
- Systems that are designed for R-22 work best with R-22.
- R-22 is the most widely used refrigerant in North America.
- R-22 is in residential systems, businesses, campuses, industrial sites – just about everywhere!
- As of January 1, 2020, no new R-22 manufactured or imported into the U.S. will be allowed onto the market.
- R-22 can and should be reclaimed (per U.S. EPA regulations) or used from existing stocks.
- In 2020, despite the virgin manufacturing ban R-22 will still be the most widely used refrigerant in the U.S.